'The' Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Mahushala

I found this english translation of the poem 'Madhushala' by Dr. Harivansh Rai Bachhan. Here are some excerpts from it :

My beloved wine-maiden seems a priest; her wine as pure as the Ganga's waters.
With unbroken pace, she rotates the rosary of wine glasses.
"Drink more! Drink more!" she intones in prayer.
I am Shiva incarnate and this tavern is my temple.

Life is short. How much love can I give and how much can I drink?
They say, "He departs," at the very moment that he is born.
While he is being welcomed, I have seen his farewell being prepared.
They started closing the shutters of the tavern, as soon as they were raised.

Yama will come as the wine-maiden and bring his black wine,
Drink, and know no more consciousness, O carefree one.
This is the ultimate trance, the ultimate wine-maiden and the ultimate goblet.
O traveller, drink judiciously, for you will never find the tavern again.

If anyone asks my name, say it was, "The Drunkard".
My work? I drank and passed the goblet to everyone.
O Beloved, if they ask my caste, say only that I was mad.
Say my religion worshipped goblets and then chant with your rosary, "The tavern, the tavern!"

For more visit here . For anyone who would like to read the full poem in hindi , visit here . The poem is really beautifully written. Some part of it was even released as music album , rendered by Manna Dey and selected by Harivansh Rai Bachhan himself. The album is really good too ...