'The' Blog

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Scientific

Yesterday I was doing a research (not exactly ... but sth like it) on windshield technology. I found out that broken windshields can be repaired. Really ? The thing got me thinking that if two exactly same windshields (which means same make , same batch , same everything ... ) are subjected to some sharp blow , in the identical fashion , at the same exact spot , then will they develop identical cracks ? Well the thing can be tested experimentally , using a simple machine.... but the answer will always be no ...they will never develop cracks in the same fashion. This can probably be attributed to the randomness of the arrangement of glass crystals in the windshield (remember 'Minority Report' ? each ball of wood that rolled out was unique because of the randomness inherent in the wood grains).

And this brings to my mind a similar problem that first came to my mind when I was in class 9th , the day I read about the twin paradox (ref. the special theory of relativity .For anyone who left science ages ago , it is supposed to be some really techie stuff , but the thing is not required here ... so read on ...). The problem considers two twins placed in two identical environments (hypothetical), sth like mirror worlds , and each of them faces the same things the other does , meets the same people etc. Now the problem is ... will they act in the same fashion at the same time throughout their lives ?. i.e. will both feel like peeing together , every single time they feel like that ? Will both mouth the same obscenities in identical ways if they are slapped in identical manners ? Will both of them vote for congress if they are handed the same numbered ballot paper in their respective worlds ? Will both of them stammer in the same fashion when they'll give their first interview (of course to identical bosses in identical offices) ? Or will they be different. Well technically they should behave in the same manner , but I think some thing will again induce some kind of randomness ... so that wouldn't happen . But I will love to see this experiment carried out practically one day (not possible)....

And now that I am talking about strange things , here is another one ... yesterday I was feeling very sleepy and I was yawning as well , but could not sleep. It was 2 in the night , so I forced myself to sleep. Now this happens lots of times , my mind always starts dreaming horrible things when I force-sleep. So yesterday , soon after sleeping , I started having nightmares , about ghosts and speaking clocks and ... and death. At some point of time , I got really frightened and wanted to scream. But tried as much as I might , I could not. I could not even move (and this is not a story that I am narrating ..). The state of temporary paralysis got over in a few seconds . When I finally got up , I was sweating and my limbs were feeling like I have just done a cross country. Now for God's sake .. I don't need a doctor. I happened to read about this phenomenon in the autobiography of the Nobel prize laureate Richard P. Feynman (maybe even I get a Nobel someday ... and just in case you start thinking that Richard P. Feynman was a psychotherapist or sth , I should tell u that he was a great scientist , physics). After that I got up and sat thinking why this happened . And I think I came to the right answer. Maybe all the body systems shut down when u sleep and take some time to start-up again (the way windows takes time to start , even if u hibernated it. My body was always lazy anyways .. ). Anyways .. then I turned on the CD player and slept peacefully , dreaming.

And talking about scientific minds ... Richard P. Feynman once stood on his head and pissed to find out if the piss falls down due to the force of gravity or is it squirted out with some force ... :-) .. now you know what kind of scientific inquisitiveness drives people who end up winning Nobel prizes.