'The' Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Rubber ...

Condom ads have envaded the telivision. The government , it seems is hell bent this time to make people use rubber. Ok ... but then ... they have , like , over-done it ... I mean .. there are condom ads in every third break between the cricket match , between popular TV serials and even on the radio broadcasts. The government it seems will not leave any stone unturned ... It is like a strict army general , looking over a map of India , telling his men in all seriousness ... "Gentlemen , the population must be controlled and we will fight to the end to accomplish our mission.".
There are ads showing members of the cricket team - Dravid and Sehwag (who has this typical way of saying it ...). Then there is this ad starring Rajpal Yadav. And there is this ad wherein an ecstasic man is dancing in the rain ... looks to be a retirement/finance plan ad at first ... turns out to be a rubber ad wherein the ecstasic man finally reaches the chemist amongst heavy rain and asks for a chhatri i.e. an umbrella ... pretty corny comparison. And they have put ads on every channel aired .... from Sony to DD sports to even Star Movies.
I don't mind these ads , but I am pretty relieved that this campaign was not started a year or two ago. Otherwise my inquistive younger brother would have made it hell for my parents asking them what a "condom" meant. My mother would have told him that it was something meant for "Bade Log". My father ... I dunno ... maybe he would have explained. But anyways ,now he is in high school and he knows everything from necking to third base ... so there is no uncomfortable situation. Yet I am sure that the "uncomfortable situation" would have been faced in a lot of families .And in some really conservative type of families , everybody in the family starts looking down and all that ... I mean whenever such an ad comes by .. everybody is like ... I-Promise-I-didn't-notice-it... he he ....
I wish they'd stop so many ads and save ppl a lot of trouble ... but they say that this is the only problem to bring the population in control ... ok .... carry on ... rubber the hell out of TV ... sell it like it's never been sold before ..