'The' Blog

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The great Indian wedding

This is an old post ... but I decided to republish it (Actually I am in no mood to write a new one ... and I never got comments on this one .... so ..), it is one of my favorite ( yeah , I got favorite posts as well .. ) .. it is about this big marriage in front of my house ... if you've never been to a North Indian marriage before , you'll probably not get what I mean (I don't know how marriage ceremonies take place in the rest of India ) ... but read on anyways ...

Yesterday we had this big marriage in front of our house. Boy these ppl sure knew how to boogie ... they did so till 4 in the morning.I could not get a minutes sleep. It was like I was trying to sleep on the dance floor. And the music selection was so lousy .... imagine playing Vengaboys again and again about 10 times or so. This was torture ... I can't listen to that shit even once. As if that was not enough .. the DJ kept on playing incomprehensible punjabi music .... crass cacophony. And finally the crowds favourite...."ladies and gentleman for your entertainment and aural pleasure only" .... 'Its the time to disco'. Whoa ! what a mindblowing track .... wish I could kill the DJ.
Loud music was not the only problem ... our colony became clogged with vehicles by 8 in the night and the baraat had not yet arrived. By 10 there was no parking in sight even outside the colony. Then there was this generator that was so placed that the pipe designed for its exaust pointed to my house so that any body who went outside came back gasping for air. The generator was also very noisy but we couldn't hear it before 4 am in all the DJ's noise (Lucky us !).Wonder when the couple will celebrate their marriage anniv. for they got married the next day morn instead of the date printed on the card.
Seeing the marriage and hearing what Gupta aunty and Sharma aunty had to say about the marriage the next day... these marriges appear to be one big show-off. Gupta aunty's eyes shone like the chandelier in yesterdays marriage ( It was so huge that u cud see it from a kilometer away ! ) when she told my mom about the money spent on everything from the flowers to the jewellery to the amount that came in the shagun to the car they gave away ( Skoda Octavia , my fav.... lucky bastard , the groom ). And my sleep was not the only thing that was devastated in the grand celebration. The lovely park in front of my house was in total ruins. All the plants were trampled upon and everything was a big mess. And to our dismay , ppl discovered in the evening that while the tent ppl made holes in the road for the tent poles , they managed to cut an underground wire so that there was a short circuit in the street-light wires and hence the colony remained in total darkness today , since the electrician was on a holiday too.
And all this was not the first time. The same family did a jaagaran some time back and we had to deal with deafeningly loud bhajans and aartis till about 5-6 in the morning. Imagine the bhajans were made on popular bollywood tunes ! For ex. 'Kaho na pyar hai ...' became 'Mata ka durbaar hai .. ' ! Either the creators of these bhajans lack originality or they want to impress the God with their sick sense of humour. In any case , I was not amused.