'The' Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The cliched movies

I wanted to write about this since a long time ... here it goes ....
Most of the popular hindi movies are really crap (A lot of hollywood movies too ... but we'll talk about that later). They show situations that so far from reality that if you are not dreaming while seeing the movie .. you'll leave after the first 15 minutes. Though there is another way of jhelo-ing the movie , make fun of it right through it.
So why do I find them so bad ? Well .. ever heard anybody in real life say things like "Main tumse itna pyar karta hoon jitna gagan dharti se karta hai .. bhanwra phoolon se karta hai .. pahaar aur vaadiyan gawah hain etc. etc. " ?? The people who say such things in real life actually never came out of the last SRK movie they saw. Well if someone was to say sth like that to me .. I wud tell him to f off into all the pahaar and bageeche he has been talking about. And this is not the only thing that is far-from-real in hindi movies , there are other things that can seem really odd .. like the hero and heroine start singing in surround Dolby sound all of a sudden .. and every hero in every movie (almost) can sing. And then extras appear out of thin air and start dancing in synchro with the actors. I don't say that good movies are not made .. I mean .. some of them are so good that you can forgive the hero and heroine sing in really loud voices , but most of them have cliched song-dance routine ... hero-heroine , extras , some exotic location , dupatta flying , words like dil,pyar,muhobbat,jaan,jigar, etc in every 2nd line .. and a song is made. Otherwise there is this new trend , item no.s in clubs .. almost every villian goes to a dance bar now and then .. and every dance bar he goes to has this pretty chick who belts out original numbers and dances to them with a lot of ooomph (read really small clothes and lewd guestures). Yet we have been so used to seeing all this stuff .. that it doesn't seem odd anymore. For example .. the songs ... that every hero sings .. it is like a part and parcel of almost every hindi movie .. and so we hardly find it odd ..
But not all the popular movies are bad .. recently 'Black' was good .. most of the Ram Gopal Verma films are good .. a lot of other movies are good .. some comedies are good too .. but what I am really aginst is SRK type of movies .. movies like Kuchh kuchh hota hai , Main hoon na etc. etc. .. and what is more surprising is the fact that thet go on to become big hits. When I see these movies ( I don't now .. but u do get to see some scenes now and then ) .. I can see right through them .. not one second can I associate with the movie .. the perfectionist hero , the extra-heavy dialogues , the emotions , the drama .. what about the real life. I am not against SRK .. I think he is a good actor (I really don't think so .. but since I am no authority on it .. I have no right to comment on his acting ) .. but most of his movies are sick. The last SRK movie that I found good was Ashoka , or probably Swades. But SRK sells .. and so his movies become hits . on the other hand .. some really good movies do avg. business , like Naach minus its ending was a really good movie , but it became a flop (And I know a lot of ppl will say that it deserved to be a flop .. but I found it really good .. ).
And recently "Dhoom" was released .... it was a pathetic movie. I mean if u got to show action , at least show sth that is real .. you can't defy physics for god's sake .. this is not the matrix you are shooting in ... you don't do a 360 somersault on a moving truck and not even wobble a bit when u land.
And if you think hollywood movies were really good .. then I'll tell you that they can be pretty cliched as well .. for example if you saw "The terminal" recently , then you probably saw , that except for the location of the movie and a few other things .. there is hardly anything new .. it was pretty cliched .. a guy .. who is good and true to his heart ... his lone battle against a lot of ppl ... ppl help him because of his goodness ... and he emerges as a winner in the end ... hackneyed. And then there all these action movies..
I can go on and on about all the crap that the movies show .. but if u got what I said in this post .. then I don't need to elaborate on it.