'The' Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Chocolat

Just finished reading Chocolat. Great book. I amlost feel sad that it ended. Sometimes the ecstacy of beauty is so much that you never want it to end. It has been a long time since I felt like that after reading a book. The last book I read , The Fountainhead , I didn't feel like this after reading it. That time I felt different. Filled with new energy. Other books I see lying here .. Grishams , Ludlums , Paulo Cohelo , Richard Bach , The Celestine Prophecy , Maugham.. none left with me wishing so much that it ever ended. But next I happen to see To kill a Mocking Bird .. well , that book was different. I remember this book called toto chan I read once. Then ... The catcher in the Rye , but I don't think after reading those the feeling was so strong. Or it could be that I feel so good after reading this book, that the memory of the last one has faded. Yet I remember I felt the same reading Ruskin Bond books when I was young. "The room on the roof". I don't know how many nights I dreamed about having a room like that , living in a place like that , having a life like that. This book , Chocolat, I can't imagine myself in it , but it was so much pleasure reading it , that I want to read more of it. About the little girl Anouk , her mother , about the beautiful Chocolate Parlour , about everything ... I want to live that book again.
I think I dream a lot. I think I repeat the words "I wish .." very often. I don't want to. I know it is dangerous , but I can't help it. I wish I was in a place like that. I wish I would one day ...
Some friend brought this book from the library. I'll have to return it to her tomorrow. But I don't want to. It is like parting with a ... I don't know what ... but I feel very bad returning this book. That is the reason I always buy my books. So that I'll never have to return them. So that I can re-live them anytime I want. It is like having photographs of the moments you enjoyed , so that you can remember them whenever you want. Wish I could sample all the times I felt really good ...
A quote from the book :
"Happiness. Simple as a glass of chocolate or tortuous as the heart. Bitter. Sweet. Alive"
And suddenly I felt like writing a post.