'The' Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Cultural Shit

I have been playing a lot of guitar lately and I really feel sad that all this time I didn't learn much on my accoustic guitar. I mean .. it's like 6 years since I have an accoustic .. and I learnt as much as a slow begginer would learn in ... say 6 months ? I mean .. such a waste ..
And now that I remember ... they used to teach us nothing in school. Not that my school was bad .. but there was this whole cultural shit that always comes on from God knows where. So , our instrumental teacher used to be a sitar player who taught us to play Sa Re Ga Ma and Ragas. I was taught to play the guitar on one string .. and I wondered when do people use the rest of the 5 .. ok ... my school really sucked at this .... but then I don't understand why do we give so much importance to the culture thing. I mean .. what is culture ? A way of living that an era of people invented some time back ? Right ... then why do we want to adopt it right now ? I mean ... if everybody was following cultures all this time .. then we would have had Harappan culture now ... Right ?
I think everybody should be free to do what he she wants to do ..
And ... when I say cultural shit ... I do not mean to say that all this Indian Classical and all that is bad ... what I want to say is that harping about culture and forcing people to follow it is . As for Indian classical music is concerned .. I think it is wonderful .. I really love the songs with classical touch and I think singing it does wonders to your voice. But please .. let me do what I want to ...
In the college .. my principal is a big time Indian Culture freak .. so we have all these spic macay programs in the college. I don't mind them .. infact .. I got to hear Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasiya through one of these (and he is wonderful) .. but then .. what happens is .. he'll give huge sponsorship for the Spic Macay programs .. and shit if we want to do something like a rock competition or sth. Not only that ... he would actually put on strong terms like time limits and all that on any such programs in the college .. now this is shit. Like .. why ?